The foundation of the Institute originates from the Project Office "Tatnefteproekt", established by the Decree of the Council of Ministers of the USSR on April 28, 1950, along with "Tatneft" association as one of its structural units in Kazan.
In 1952, the Project Office was transformed into the Giprotatneft Institute. 40 years later, after four reorganizations, the institute was named SC "Neftekhimproekt" within the of the NPO "Soyuzneftepromkhim". Since 1995, the Institute has become an independent legal entity, and in 2003, it was transformed into the Kazan Institute for the Design of Oil Industry Facilities (SC Neftekhimproekt). In 2009, it became a member of the Scientific and Design Center "Oil and Gas Technologies" of PJSC "Tatneft".
In 2009, by the Decree of the President of the Republic of Tatarstan NoUP-614 "On Approval of the List of State Unitary Enterprises of the Republic of Tatarstan, Joint Stock Companies Whose Shares are In-state ownership of the Republic of Tatarstan, which is of particular importance for the economy of the Republic of Tatarstan", the Institute became part of the newly created Scientific and Design Center "Oil and Gas Technologies".
The task of the center is to increase the efficiency and ensure coordination of the activities of organizations performing research and design work in the oil industry.